first_imgThe Parteen basin on Lough DergTHE COST of a controversial pipeline to take water from the River Shannon near Limerick City and deliver it Dublin is set to go over budget.The project is now likely to exceed the estimated €1.3 billion cited in the National Development Plan (NDP), according to Irish Water.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Plans for the Shannon pipeline to abstract water from the Parteen Basin have been met with fierce opposition from concerned environmentalists, farmers and tourism operators in Limerick, Clare and Tipperary.Irish Water has informed the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government that rising costs may put the project over budget but has not yet given any revised costings.The company plans to start construction of the pipeline in 2023 and estimates it will take up to four years to completeThe project was chosen as the viable option from a number of possible solutions to the growing demand for water in Dublin, including a seawater desalination plant.However, the River Shannon Protection Alliance (RSPA) says that Dublin could solve its water problems if it just tackled the leaks.Gerry Siney of the RSPA points out that Dublin is awash with water that needs to be filtered and purified regardless of its source.“They should insist that Irish Water implement a strategic plan for the replacement of Dublin’s ancient, corroded and leaking pipes. The replacement of these pipes is unavoidable and the taxpayer cannot be expected to finance a flawed pipeline scheme which represents the wrong solution,” he said. Previous articleWoman arrested and €72,000 seized in WestburyNext articleTalking Points: Early statements of intent and absences prove costly Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Twitter Facebook Advertisement WhatsAppcenter_img Linkedin Email Print NewsEnvironmentShannon pipeline would leak cashBy Bernie English – August 18, 2020 552 last_img read more


first_img “As far as I am concerned the game will go ahead,” said Meulensteen. “It has not been too much of a concern to us, it’s not something we could allow to affect us.” Fulham had planned to delay a decision on staging their Liverpool clash until later on Tuesday afternoon. Members of the RMT and TSSA unions were due to walk out at 9pm on Tuesday night following a two-day stoppage last week which caused travel chaos in the capital. RMT general secretary Bob Crow said unions had received proposals that halted implementation of job cuts, so that discussions can be held “away from the pressure cooker”. The unions are campaigning against controversial plans to close all 260 Tube ticket offices with the loss of 950 jobs. Liverpool owner John W Henry waded into the row over Fulham delaying their decision on whether to postpone the match due to transport concerns with a tweet on Tuesday morning. Henry tweeted: “Arsenal, West Ham and Leyton Orient all ready for the strike but not Fulham?” Fulham put their waiting game purely down to prudence to ascertain whether all support staff could travel to the match to ensure supporter safety. Press Association Fulham’s Barclays Premier League home clash with Liverpool will go ahead as planned on Wednesday night after unions suspended a strike on the London Underground.center_img Just minutes prior to the announcement by the RMT union that it was joining the TSSA in suspending a planned 48-hour strike, Cottagers boss Rene Meulensteen expressed his confidence that the game would go ahead regardless. The Fulham boss said the potential tube cessation had not affected his side’s preparation for their league showdown with Brendan Rodgers’ Anfield outfit. last_img read more


first_imgFootball fans in Bekwai will be further starved with Premier League action as their hometown club, New Edubiase, failed to meet the required standard for the usage of the stadium in Bekwai.For a second season running, Edubiase will adopt the Obuasi Len Clay Stadium as their home ground.Chief Executive of the club, Alex Akumey, explains lack of funds has resulted in the club’s decision to stay at Obuasi“Bekwai does not match the club licensing standard as it was last year,” he told Joy Sports“We believe Edubiase does not have the money to uplift the Bekwai Sports Stadium so it is very difficult for us to raise the money to raise the standard to the required level of the club licensing.”“Obuasi is the nearest place to us, we tried it last season and it was good so we believe it is better to use Len Clay.” New Edubiase survived relegation on the last day of last season after beating Heart of Lions in Obuasi.However their chances of surviving the Premier League this year has been thrown in doubt following the sale of key players such as the Nuhu Brothers,  midfielder Latif Anabilah, full back Emmanuel Nti Mensah and striker Bernard Ofori.–Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @JoyFMSports. Our hashtag is #JoySportslast_img read more