first_imgIn a brand new interview with Katie Couric, three-time Grammy winner Chance The Rapper gives fans a better glimpse of who he is. The interview takes place at Harold’s Chicken Shack, one of Chance’s favorite restaurants in the Southside of Chicago, and throughout, Chance talks about a whole slew of topics ranging from being an independent artist, the significance of the number 3 in his life, and gun violence in his home city.You can check out the interview for yourself below, courtesy of Yahoo.last_img


first_imgCavanaugh Hall is hosting its second annual Ready Set Glow Fun Run Thursday. The run, which follows a two-mile course around campus, will start at 8 p.m. at Fieldhouse Mall.“It’s a fun run, so everyone is encouraged to do of their best ability and then at the end we have glow powder and glow lights, and it really just turns into a fun Cav celebration/dance party,” junior Brittany Benninger, one of the organizers for the event, said.Benninger said registration for the event is $10, and participants can register online with Student Shop or at the dining halls this week, or at 7:30 p.m. before the race. Photo courtesy of Hannah Bruening Cavanaugh Hall prepares for its second annual Ready Set Glow Fun Run, where it raises funds for the Visitation Maternity Ward at Brother Andrew Medical Center in the Dandora area of Nairobi, Kenya. Last year, the event raised over $500.Proceeds from the event benefit the Visitation Maternity Ward at Brother Andre Medical Center in the Dandora area of Nairobi, Kenya. Fr. Bob Dowd, an associate professor of political science and director of the Ford Program in Human Development Studies and Solidarity, is a resident in Cavanaugh and helped found the ward last year.“Dandora is a very tough place, underserved,” he said. “The health facilities in Dandora are substandard. It’s a place where there is a great deal of poverty, lack of decent healthcare. The city dump site for all of Nairobi is located in Dandora, so it affects the quality of life for everyone in the area.”Last year’s race raised just over $500, and Benninger said this year’s goal is to raise $1,300. Dowd said the maternity ward must cover the costs of delivering the babies, which is $50 for a regular delivery and $200 for a Caesarean section.“The support that Cavanaugh is generating is really important because we struggle to make ends meet at the maternity ward, because the costs far exceed the revenue,” Dowd said. “We’re always trying to find new ways of closing the gap between costs and revenue to ensure that women are getting the skilled and compassionate care that they need, that their dignity really demands.”The nearest maternity hospital is an hour away from Dandora, and Dowd said many women would give birth at home if the maternity ward did not exist, which can be risky.“If you were to see the surroundings, you would see the risks — the lack of decent sanitation,” he said.Benninger said the goals of the maternity ward align nicely with Cavanaugh’s values, which is why the dorm chooses to support the maternity ward.“The resemblance of our community of women coming together to empower each other really goes hand in hand with the maternity ward’s mission of empowering women,” she said. “We see our community as being able to support these women and empowering them to bring the vision that we want to see to the world.”Dowd said the run is an opportunity to support human dignity in Kenya.“It’s about women and children, it’s about life at it’s beginning, it’s about human dignity, and I think that’s something to keep in mind — essentially, the run will be about human dignity,” he said.Tags: brother andre medical center, Cavanaugh Hall, ready set glow fun run, visitation maternity wardlast_img read more


first_img(CMC) – LEFT-HANDER Darren Bravo has been sent packing for the one-day series against India starting next month, with injury-plagued all-rounder Andre Russell also overlooked in a 14-man squad announced yesterday by West Indies selectors.Both players featured in the Windies’ failed ICC World Cup campaign in England where they had little impact in their limited appearances, as the Caribbean side finished ninth, only ahead of last-placed Afghanistan.From that World Cup squad, speedster Shannon Gabriel and off-spinner Ashley Nurse have also been dropped, along with batsman Sunil Ambris who was called up as an injury replacement for Russell.Meanwhile, veteran opener Chris Gayle has been included in the 14-man squad after making an about turn on his retirement, with the trio of opener John Campbell, all-rounder Roston Chase and seamer Keemo Paul called up for the three-match series which bowls off in Georgetown.Interim head coach Floyd Reifer said the composition of the squad reflected the start of the rebuilding effort with the next World Cup in mind.“We have to start planning now for the World Cup in 2023 and we are looking for a solid squad that we can work with over the next four years,” said Reifer, who was appointed back in April.“We want to build them into a consistent winning team in this format, so that they have a real chance of success in four years’ time.“We had a number of young players in the last World Cup squad. We played some decent cricket. We were in match-winning positions, but we just didn’t win the key moments or finish off the games.“The players have learnt a lot from the World Cup, and we are looking to improve their skills, their mindsets and playing together as a team. The more they can play together, the better it will be for them.”Bravo is one of the major omissions, especially since it comes less than a year following his return to international cricket from a two-year hiatus, owing to a nasty public squabble with former Cricket West Indies (CWI) president Dave Cameron.However, in 16 One-Day Internationals since, he has managed only 244 runs at an average of 22 with a single half-century. He played just three matches in the World Cup and batted only twice, scoring 0 and 19 in those outings.Overall, he averages 30 from 110 ODIs.Russell, recently named in the T20 International squad subject to a fitness test, had a similarly frustrating World Cup campaign, scoring 36 runs from three innings and claiming five wickets.He limped out of the tournament with a chronic knee injury which dogged him throughout and hampered performances.Campbell and Chase, meanwhile, have been handed opportunities to press their claim for permanent spots in the side.The left-handed Campbell averages nearly 50 from six ODIs, fuelled largely by a sparkling 179 in his only innings in the Tri-Nations Series in Ireland back in May while Chase averages 21 from 16 ODIs with a single half-century.Paul, a promising 21-year-old, played the last of his 11 ODIs in December before being sidelined with injury.“It is good to have Keemo, John and Roston back, and they will help to bring further balance to the team,” Reifer said of the trio. “Looking ahead to the series, I think we have a lot to build upon following the World Cup.”Gayle provides the bulk of the experience in the unit with 10 393 runs from 298 ODIs, along with 25 hundreds but is coming off a low-key World Cup where he managed only 242 runs at an average of 30.He is two months away from his 40th birthday and in the twilight of his career but Reifer endorsed his presence in the Jason Holder-led squad.“Chris is a very valuable player and he brings a lot of experience, a lot of knowledge. He lends a lot to any dressing room and it is great to have him in the squad,” Reifer pointed out.The opening ODI is set for August 8 with the remaining matches on August 11 and 14 at Queen’s Park Oval in Port of Spain.SQUAD – Jason Holder (captain), Fabian Allen, Carlos Brathwaite, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Sheldon Cottrell, Chris Gayle, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Evin Lewis, Keemo Paul, Nicholas Pooran, Kemar Roach, Oshane Thomas.last_img read more


first_imgBut it leaves Conte facing the disastrous prospect of going into the season with his No1 target having gone to one of Chelsea’s main rivals.Despite some reports in Italy suggesting that Lukaku was not Conte’s first choice, Mirror Sport understands that the Italian was desperate to get him.Conte had been in regular contact and was making tactical plans for next season with Lukaku in his starting line-up.Conte has already had a difficult summer and, according to one source, there was genuine concern that the ex-Italy boss could leave last month such was his frustration over Chelsea’s lack of activity in the transfer market.In fact, Chelsea technical director Michael Emenalo went “missing” for four days on an emergency mission to try and resolve the Conte crisis following the fall-out over Diego Costa.Emenalo managed to resolve the crisis but it has flared up again.Costa going public on a text exchange with Conte telling him he was no longer in his plans enraged the Chelsea hierarchy and there is no escaping that there is some disquiet on both sides as the club were not happy with the manager’s actions.Costa is set to rejoin Atletico Madrid – and then be loaned out until January – but the value of his deal has been drastically reduced after the public row and Chelsea’s position in the market has been weakened.They have struggled to get deals over the line, having seen a move for Southampton’s Virgil van Dijk stall, they have not yet done Alex Sandro from Juventus and Tiemoue Bakayoko’s move from Monaco has dragged on.Conte is now likely to have to go back for Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata and Chelsea will also look at Swansea’s Fernando Llorente. Torino’s Andrea Belotti is another option.Chelsea will also discuss making a move for Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez, but are well aware that their London rivals do not want to sell to another Premier League club, having publicly insisted they will not sell to Manchester City.It leaves Conte and Chelsea facing a crisis before the start of the season.Chelsea’s ability to turn success into a shambles has returned to haunt them again with the much talked about new contract for Conte remaining rather ominously unsigned.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Antonio Conte is growing increasingly frustrated at Chelsea and the latest transfer blow raises serious questions about his future at Stamford Bridge.Conte had set his heart on Romelu Lukaku and saw the Everton striker as the central piece in the jigsaw for next season before Manchester United came in to hijack the transfer.Chelsea boss Conte was said to be “fuming” at how the deal got away and club officials spent Thursday trying to establish from Lukaku and his advisors whether there was any way back.last_img read more