first_imgShare:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Stock Image JAMESTOWN – A Jamestown man is facing charges after allegedly throwing a pocket knife at a child’s face during an incident Monday night.Jamestown Police say Robert Trenary, 26, was arrested after police responded to a disorderly person call on Fulton Street around 9:30 p.m.While inside a residence, it is alleged that Trenary recklessly threw a knife striking a minor in the face.Police say Trenary was taken into custody without incident. Trenary is charged with third-degree assault, second-degree reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child.Additionally, officers say Trenary had an outstanding domestic violence arrest warrant.last_img read more


first_imgOil price crash pushing independent U.S. producers to the brink of bankruptcy FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享S&P Global Market Intelligence ($):When the 2014 to 2016 oil and gas price collapse took hold, a large number of independent producers found themselves in dire straits. If prices do not rebound quickly in 2020, the industry could be facing a similar situation, or worse.During the two-year price downturn, producers who had overspent in an effort to expand were faced with suddenly overloaded balance sheets and high breakeven prices. That left many dealing with the prospect of bankruptcy, and at least 70 filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2016 alone. Producers now have far lower breakeven costs, but a number still have damaged balance sheets dating back a half-decade. Prolonged exposure to prices in the low- to mid-$30 per barrel range could push many over the edge.“If prices remain depressed below $40 per barrel for more than a few weeks, we will likely see a repeat of 2016,” Haynes and Boone LLP Partner Buddy Clark said. Haynes and Boone has kept a tracker of producers that have filed for bankruptcy since 2015, a total that stood at 208 in December 2019. The 2019 total of 42 was the highest in three years, and Clark said the number had already increased in the opening months of 2020 even before the price war between Saudi Arabia and Russia sent prices crashing March 9.There could have been more bankruptcies in 2015 and 2016, but there was a saving grace: banks and other funding sources were willing to pump capital into the sector, keeping a number of producers above water. Those sources have now dried up, leaving independents with fewer options.“For those producers still standing and faced with near-term debt maturities, there is less access to capital now than there was in 2016, with fewer options to restructure, other than filing for bankruptcy court protection,” Clark said.A possible exit route for struggling companies — being acquired — appears to be blocked by the price crash. Producers that have made acquisitions were frequently punished by investors before prices lost double-digits per barrel overnight; now, very few expect to have the free cash flow to make such a move.[Mark Passwaters]More ($): Oil price collapse driving more producers to brink of bankruptcylast_img read more


first_img The NCUA on Wednesday released its draft budget for 2019 and 2020, which estimates $304.4 million and $316.2 million in spending, respectively. The agency will hold a budget briefing Oct. 17; NAFCU has long supported public budget briefings to help ensure transparency and accountability in the budgeting process.“NAFCU and our members appreciate the NCUA’s continued commitment to an open and transparent budgeting process,” said NAFCU President and CEO Dan Berger. “The passage of the Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act ensures that the current NCUA Board’s commitment will continue under the direction of future boards. We look forward to reviewing the draft budget and providing the agency with our thoughtful feedback to ensure a strong but cost-effective NCUA.”NAFCU is currently reviewing the proposal, but a summary indicates the agency is continuing to implement its reorganization plan and will reduce the number of staff by 10 positions in 2019.The revised 2019 operating budget is roughly $1.7 million higher than the previously approved two-year budget. The 2019 combined total for operating, capital, and share insurance fund administration budgets is 1.1 percent higher than 2018 at $334.8 million. NCUA headquarters continue reading »center_img ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more


first_img“These important funds will help some of the most vulnerable members of our community, many of whom are Veterans, get back on their feet,” Brindisi said. Coalition for the Homeless of Southern NYFairview Recovery ServicesOpportunities for Broome IncVolunteers of America of Western NYYWCA of BinghamtonCNY Services IncJCTOD OutreachICANUnited Way VGUYWCA Mohawk ValleyOswego County Opportunities IncNYS OTDA AlbanyPEOPLCares of NY IncCounty of OrangeEmergency Housing GroupMental Health Association of Orange County The congressman’s office says the funds will be used to help fight homelessness in the community. The funds are administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. (WBNG) — Congressman Anthony Brindisi announced over $7 million in federal funds for housing assistance in the 22nd District of New York Tuesday morning.center_img The following is a list of organizations receiving the funding: Brindisi says he will “always” make sure funding from the nation’s capital makes it’s way to the 22nd District.last_img read more


first_imgMcGuinness said that online auctions have been a double-edged sword. While sales can continue, it’s not ideal for potential buyers when sizing up a purchase.“If you’re buying livestock, you have to be able to see the livestock before you purchase them. It’s not a piece of clothing,” McGuinness said. “You buy animals based on how they walk and the carcass shape, the flesh that’s on the animal, that’s what you’re buying an animal for, for meat. You have to be able to see the confirmation of an animal. Cameras do not show you that.”Some marts have been able to allow farmers to view an animal by appointment before bidding remotely. – Advertisement – DUBLIN — In July, Eimear McGuinness set up an online auction system in the livestock market she manages in Donegal town in northwest Ireland. Markets (known as marts in Ireland) around the country where cattle, sheep and other livestock are bought and sold were largely curtailed as coronavirus restrictions limited the number of people that could gather around auction rings to place bids.Since then, the coronavirus crisis has deepened and Ireland re-entered lockdown last month. This has seen the traditional mart industry rely solely on online auctioning for sales to continue. – Advertisement – McGuinness said poor broadband access in rural and remote areas “was a major flaw straight away” that made it difficult for buyers to partake in bids.In another case, an IT glitch in late October caused the online system for dozens of marts to collapse, leading to significant disruption.Livestock marts are a key avenue for farmers to buy and sell animals, mostly for meat. More than 160,000 people are employed in Ireland’s agri-food sector with exports worth 14.5 billion euros ($17.1 billion) in 2019.Online biddingOther companies have raced in with their own solutions to address the challenges.Mark McGann and his co-founders at Galway start-up HerdEye, which develops artificial intelligence for livestock health monitoring, re-purposed their tech in March for a new venture called MartEye, providing cameras and software for online auctions. – Advertisement – – Advertisement –center_img “It’s an app for the farmers where they can bid. They watch the video of the cattle coming in and they can hear the auctioneer and they can bid. On the auctioneer’s side there’s a dashboard we had to build for them to operate the sale,” McGann said.While the system was built as a temporary measure, McGann said it has become much a bigger focus for the company now, having seen 170 million euros ($201 million) worth of sales made through its system. It has now expanded into the U.K.The Irish Farmer’s Association (IFA), a group that represents the interests of all sectors of farming nationwide, said that online bidding has only worked as a “supplementary system.”“There are huge concerns about marts operating exclusively under this system, and in particular at this time of year when throughput is at peak numbers,” an IFA spokesperson said.“The platforms being used to run sales have been working well, but what happened recently when one of the online systems went down shows the risk of operating using this system alone.”Opening the martsMcGuinness, who is also chairperson of Mart Managers of Ireland, said marts, farmers and the agriculture industry had been hit hard this year. Spring and fall were typically the busiest times of the year for sales and both periods have been struck by lockdowns.During the summer months, when restrictions eased partially, McGuinness said marts developed procedures to safely allow farmers back around the rings with physical distancing, mask wearing and logging details for contact tracing. “None of us liked it but we did it and we actually settled into a routine through the summer and we just got on with it. While we found it strange, we had to employ loads of extra staff to do this,” she said.Mart managers and the IFA are arguing their case to Ireland’s Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine to allow a limited number of buyers back on site with strict protocols.A spokesperson for the department said that it will “continue to monitor the situation” as the weeks progress.“There is no facility to permit buyers to congregate and attend in the sales ring while the country remains at Level 5,” they added, referring to the highest level of coronavirus measures.The current restrictions are due to be eased on Dec. 1, depending on case numbers, and mart managers like McGuinness will be hoping for some reprieve. “We know what works and what doesn’t work.” Kilcullen livestock Mart in Co Kildare which has reopened with reduced numbers and increased sanitation procedures as Ireland moves into the second phase of easing its Covid-19 lockdown measures.Niall Carson/PA Images via Getty Imageslast_img read more


first_imgBRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) – West Indies cricketers should receive all of their outstanding match fees by the end of this week, but players in the domestic four-day competition will have to wait a bit longer, Cricket West Indies (CWI) chief executive office Johnny Grave has disclosed.He said CWI has started processing payments for the international male and female cricketers and efforts would be made to do the same for the domestic players in the eight-franchise West Indies Championship earlier this year.The men had not been paid their match fees for the home series – three ODIs and three T20Is – against Ireland in January or the February-March Sri Lanka tour which included three ODIs and two T20Is. The women were owed for the four matches they played in the T20 World Cup in Australia between February and March.“As of the start of this week, we were able to email and contact the international women’s players and confirm that their T20 World Cup match fees will be paid in full this week. We’d already paid the prize money, as I confirmed a few weeks ago, back in March,” Grave said on the Mason and Guest radio show on Tuesday night.“We’ve also confirmed to the men’s international players that their outstanding match fees from both the Ireland series and Sri Lanka series will be paid this week as well. So the international players are being brought up to speed.”However, Grave added: “We’re not yet in a position to do that with the franchise players. We’re working hard to try and resolve that and as I’ve assured all the players and the franchises, it is our number priority from a financial point of view, for us to clear that, and I hope to do so sooner rather than later.”In March, after eight rounds of the 10-round competition, CWI ended the competition and declared point leaders Barbados Tridents the winner of the 2020 tournament. A large percentage of those match fees – for January to March – are outstanding.The delay in paying players has been blamed on CWI’s cash crunch that has been worsened by the COVID-19 pandemic which has curtailed cricket and other sports globally.last_img read more