first_imgThe Parteen basin on Lough DergTHE COST of a controversial pipeline to take water from the River Shannon near Limerick City and deliver it Dublin is set to go over budget.The project is now likely to exceed the estimated €1.3 billion cited in the National Development Plan (NDP), according to Irish Water.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Plans for the Shannon pipeline to abstract water from the Parteen Basin have been met with fierce opposition from concerned environmentalists, farmers and tourism operators in Limerick, Clare and Tipperary.Irish Water has informed the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government that rising costs may put the project over budget but has not yet given any revised costings.The company plans to start construction of the pipeline in 2023 and estimates it will take up to four years to completeThe project was chosen as the viable option from a number of possible solutions to the growing demand for water in Dublin, including a seawater desalination plant.However, the River Shannon Protection Alliance (RSPA) says that Dublin could solve its water problems if it just tackled the leaks.Gerry Siney of the RSPA points out that Dublin is awash with water that needs to be filtered and purified regardless of its source.“They should insist that Irish Water implement a strategic plan for the replacement of Dublin’s ancient, corroded and leaking pipes. The replacement of these pipes is unavoidable and the taxpayer cannot be expected to finance a flawed pipeline scheme which represents the wrong solution,” he said. Previous articleWoman arrested and €72,000 seized in WestburyNext articleTalking Points: Early statements of intent and absences prove costly Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Twitter Facebook Advertisement WhatsAppcenter_img Linkedin Email Print NewsEnvironmentShannon pipeline would leak cashBy Bernie English – August 18, 2020 552 last_img read more


first_imgA leading South Coast estate agency has snapped up its fourth rival in three years expanding its lettings portfolio to over 2,000 properties.Worthing-based Michael Jones Estate has bought two-branch sales and lettings rival Symonds & Reading whose owners, Ian and Jo Ward, are to join the company as consultants.Their Worth branch is to close and all staff transfer to the nearby Michael Jones office, while its Ferring branch will remain but rebrand as Michael Jones & Symonds Reading.Symonds & Reading briefly gained international fame last year when a one-bedroom apartment listed via OnTheMarket featuring a bed built precariously overhanging a flight of stairs gained notoriety on Twitter and was subsequently picked up by news websites in both Australia and the US.500 propertiesSocial media ‘storms’ aside, the acquisition of Symonds  & Reading adds 500 properties to Michael Jones’ portfolio and follows previous estate agency acquisitions including Bacon & Co in September 2017, Curtis & Son in May 2019 and Easylet in October 2019.“As a business we see great value in growing and developing our sales and rental business,” says Mike Jones (left), CEO of Michael Jones.“We are delighted to announce we have exceeded our target of 2000 fully managed properties in lettings through our recent acquisitions which will significantly contribute in strengthening our overall position as a group.“We are actively looking for other acquisition opportunities in the area as it is an important part of the groups growth and expansion plans.”symonds & reading michael jones estate agents Mike Jones Sussex Worthing November 10, 2020Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Home » News » Agencies & People » Sussex agency snaps up rival with an unusual Twitter back story previous nextAgencies & PeopleSussex agency snaps up rival with an unusual Twitter back storyMichael Jones has made its fourth acquisitions in three years after buying rival Symonds & Reading, taking its lettings portfolio to over 2,000 properties.Nigel Lewis10th November 20200825 Viewslast_img read more


first_imgHarold Bolitho, professor of Japanese history emeritus in Harvard’s Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations, died on Oct. 23 after a long illness.Bolitho was born Jan. 3, 1939, the youngest of six children in Melbourne, Australia, where he spent his youth. He was a chorister at St. Paul’s Cathedral and enjoyed music all of his life. He graduated from Melbourne University and went on to obtain his Ph.D. at Yale University. He was married to the former Anne Bevan of Melbourne.He leaves his wife Sharon Ladd, three children — James ’11, Harold, and Emily — and five grandchildren. A funeral will be held on Nov. 2 at 5 p.m. in the Memorial Church, Harvard Yard. The burial will be in Connecticut.last_img


first_imgThis Tudor home at 63 Boundary Road, Bardon, is open for inspection on Saturday. Picture: realestate.com.au4. 63 Boundary Road, Bardon Price guide — Auction July 224 bed, 2 bath, 2 carOpen Saturday June 24, 12pm-12.45pmAgent: Max Hadgelias, Ray White — Paddington 0411 276 372It might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but there aren’t too many ‘Tudor’ homes around Brisbane and this one’s a beauty.This preserved 1930s house is hard to miss with its steeply pitched gable roof, embellished doorway, refined masonry and elaborate exposed wood framework.Other features include traditional casement windows, timber floorboards, an elaborate chandelier and a large covered entertainment deck overlooking the pool.Marketing agent Max Hadgelias said ‘Tudor’ homes with their “very English style” were unique and rare in Brisbane.“There’s work that can be done inside but it’s also liveable as it is,” he said.Mr Hadgelias said the property’s location was also a major attraction, given it was in the Rainworth State School catchment and close to Rosalie Village. The kitchen at 63 Boundary Road, Bardon. Picture: realestate.com.au The bathroom at 112 Bowering Street, Lota. Picture: realestate.com.au This home at 145 Kennedy Tce, Paddington, has nine bedrooms. Picture: realestate.com.au 2. 145 Kennedy Terrace, Paddington Price guide — Auction July 15​9 bed, 5 bath, 6 carOpen Saturday June 24, 11am-11.30amAgent: Paul Gould, Pure Real Estate Group 0422 638 663Now, here’s a find. This place has nine bedrooms and five bathrooms spread across three self-contained residences on 991 sqm in Paddington! The turn of the century colonial home has four bedrooms and amazing bygone era features such as church pews, sash windows, 12ft ceilings, French doors and a galley style kitchen.All around the living rooms are timber fretwork of cranes (birds) installed by the previous owner, well known wildlife photographer Steve Parish.Connected to the main house there are two self-contained units that would be perfect for the extended family, guests or teenagers.One is a two-bedroom granny flat, while the other has three bedrooms. All three dwellings have separate entrances.Marketing agent Paul Gould said the property went online during State of Origin on Wednesday night and within nine minutes, he had already received an inquiry and, soon after, an offer. Better get in quick. This home at 18 Magdala Street, Ascot, is for sale. Picture: realestate.com.au 5. 18 Magdala Street, Ascot Price guide — over $825,000​3 bed, 1 bath, 1 carOpen Saturday June 24, 10am-10.45amAgent: Katherine Pedersen, McGrath Estate Agents — New Farm 0406 717 612Homes at this price point rarely become available in affluent Ascot, so this one’s unlikely to last long.The classic character home has all the features you’d expect in a Queenslander — VJ walls, high ceilings, timber floors and a large rear deck. But it also has tonnes of potential for renovation.It’s a short walk from the Racecourse Road shopping and dining precinct and just 6km from the CBD.Marketing agent Katherine Pedersen said the home had already generated significant interest ahead of its first open inspection on Saturday.“It’s going to be a cracking one,” she said. “I’ve had heaps of calls on it already.” This house at 112 Bowering Street, Lota, is one of Brisbane’s best open homes this weekend. Picture: realestate.com.au 3. 112 Bowering Street, Lota Price guide — mid $600,000s​5 bed, 2 bath, 2 carOpen Saturday June 24, 10am-10.45am and 12.45pm -1.15pmAgent: Tori Vercoe, Bell Property Wilston 0431 916 609Lota is often regarded as the best kept secret on Brisbane’s bayside. Whereas prices in Manly have surged, neighbouring Lota still has a median house price of $605,000 — making it affordable and well positioned.This Queenslander is on a corner allotment overlooking parkland and only walking distance to the Esplanade.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home4 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor4 hours agoIt has not one, but three living areas and a back deck that runs the entire width of the house.Other cool features include a wood burning fire place, spa bath, pool room with pool table and original stained glass front door. This home at 43 Duke Street, Bulimba, is one of the best open homes in Brisbane this weekend. Picture: realestate.com.auYOU’LL want to make sure you’re the first through the doors of these beauties when they have their first open homes on Saturday.Fresh to the market, here are five of the best Brisbane homes to inspect this weekend: This home at 43 Duke Street, Bulimba, is one of the best open homes in Brisbane this weekend. Picture: realestate.com.au 1. 43 Duke Street, Bulimba Price guide — for sale​5 bed, 3 bath, 4 carOpen Saturday June 24, 11am-11.30amAgent: Sarah Hackett, Place — Bulimba 0488 355 553Dubbed the “Duchess” of Duke Street — arguably Bulimba’s best character street — dream homes don’t get much better than this one.Perched on an elevated, north facing 1012 sqm block, the five-bedroom Queenslander was renovated four years ago and has European appliances, stone bench tops, butlers pantry, polished timber floors, large verandas and a swimming pool.Oozing with character, the upper level bedrooms feature cushioned window seats and plantation shutters.Trendy Oxford Street with its restaurants, cafes and shops and the ferry are within walking distance. The living room at 18 Magdala Street, Ascot. Picture: realestate.com.aulast_img read more


first_img Sharing is caring! 52 Views   2 comments NewsRegional Montserrat police encourage vigilance after another sexual assault by: – January 31, 2012 Share Flag of Monsterrat. Photo credit: flags.netBRADES, Montserrat (GIU) –The Royal Montserrat Police Service (RMPS) is asking the public to be vigilant after a woman was sexually assaulted in the early morning of Saturday, January 28, 2012.Deputy Commissioner of Police Paul Morris said, “We are concerned about the increase of sexual assaults that have taken place over the past number of months. During the early hours of Saturday a woman was raped in Davy Hill and the level of violence used during this and other attacks is a serious cause for concern.”This is the fourth incidence of rape since October 2011. On average, Montserrat has one rape case per year, discounting statutory rapes of minors. The police officer said they are looking at possible linkages and connections between three of the cases as there are some similarities. Two of the assaults took place in Davy Hill and the third in Lookout. The fourth assault is an allegation of multiple rape near a supermarket in Davy Hill.Morris is advising women to be cautious and vigilant, making sure doors and windows are secure before retiring to bed at nights as three of the incidents took place in the home or very close to it after midnight. “Be careful about your own security.”The public are also called on to be more aware and not to make assumptions about why someone is calling for help. “Phone the police and let us decide,” the deputy commissioner of police cautioned. By Nerissa GoldenCaribbean News Nowcenter_img Share Tweet Sharelast_img read more


first_img“The University’s singular focus continues to be the students, patients and community we serve,” the statement read. “As noted on the change.usc.edu web site, many of the ideas and suggestions made in the letter are already well underway.” When the sleeping bag was presented to Cornell Thursday, he said the issue of unionizing is not new to the administration and that the University will answer those concerns. USC Forward continues week-long protest, marches to Bovard AuditoriumPHOTO: A coalition of community organizers, students and alumni called USC Forward marched on University Park Campus Thursday. (Isa Uggetti/Daily Trojan) In a response to USC Forward’s letter, Vice Provost Marty Levine wrote that the McMorrow Neighborhood Academic Initiative, the Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention and Services, the USC Strategic Plan — which houses research on local homelessness — among other initiatives, all show the University’s commitment to USC Forward’s demands. “They are not quantitative metrics with those demands,” Hyman said. “But, I support the sentiment behind all of these, and I’m glad they’re forcing the University to make a conversation on them, and I think once we have this conversation we can go into trying to make sure the school is more representative of the population surrounding the University.” “This is not a new circumstance for us,” Cornell said. “Our response … is not to the leaders of the union, its to our graduate students. Our deference is to our graduate students, and that’s what we responded to.” Cue Jn’Marie, a pastor from Church Without Walls in Skid Row, has lived in neighborhoods in Los Angeles such as Crenshaw and Watts. Jn’Marie said he and other local residents want to support students and displaced community members. In a statement following the protest Tuesday, USC said the president’s office received USC Forward’s list of demands and that it had been working on these issues long before the demonstrations began. Department of Public Safety Chief John Thomas said DPS had conversations with the demonstrators throughout the week and knew they would be holding a protest on campus Thursday. Thomas asked the protesters to finish their demonstration to allow students to get to class without disruption and said they were cooperative. Coral Itzcalli, a spokesperson for USC Forward, said the demonstration was confirmation that various groups are united in protesting the University administration. Though the “Tent City” demonstration has ended, the organization will continue to communicate with the administration. “Today, I came to support mostly,” said Kameron Hurt, a junior majoring in international relations. “We had some great speakers, I helped hold some signs and gave my voice as an undergraduate student to this cause because it is good for undergraduate students to get involved, and it’s even better when they work with the community.” Nathaniel Hyman, a sophomore majoring in public policy, said although he is in favor of USC Forward, he is concerned with the vagueness of their demands. Cornell accepted the sleeping bag following a nearly six-minute confrontation with the organizers, who marched Tuesday to deliver a list of demands to incoming President-elect Carol Folt. Cornell said the University responded to the coalition’s demands regarding graduate student unionization efforts, but the University would not address concerns from the surrounding community. During the protest, local residents, students and members of the Service Employees International Union and Alliance for Californians for Community Empowerment held a banner that read “USC Accountability Now.” Throughout the week-long demonstration, USC Forward encouraged students to jot down their concerns and demands for the University on the sleeping bag. On the sleeping bag, students wrote that USC should recognize student and worker unionization efforts and take accountability for the gentrification and displacement that persist in surrounding communities. “We will not be satisfied until we get a meeting, a sit-down meeting with the president,” Jn-Marie said. “You’re telling me I don’t live here … I live in this state. I live in this city. I’ve lived in this community.” Nearly 70 members of USC Forward, a coalition of community organizers, local residents, students and alumni, marched from Jefferson Boulevard to Bovard Auditorium Thursday. Several organizers presented University Chief of Staff Dennis Cornell with a sleeping bag — as a representation of the displaced South Los Angeles residents — scribbled with student concerns and demands. “You’re actually not in this community,” Cornell said to the organizers. “You’re actually in another community on the other side of town.” Demonstrators began protesting Saturday with the creation of “Tent City,” a group of 10 tents situated along Jefferson, where the organizers have been camping out in 24/7. Protesters held signs Thursday that read “School of Injustice,” “USC For All (Not Ju$t for Few),” and “USC School of Displacement,” as they marched the entirety of “Tent City” down Trousdale Parkway. “The benefits also included building a state-of-the-art fire station for the neighborhood,”  Levine wrote. “Development of the community benefit plans included local residents and stakeholders.” On Tuesday, USC Forward pledged to march again if the University did not respond to their demands within 48 hours following that day’s march. USC sent an official letter on Thursday morning; however, the University only penned the letter in response to the one graduate student whose name was signed at the end of the document. Due to the University’s lack of timely response, USC Forward marched Thursday. Regarding the construction of USC Village and concerns regarding local gentrification, Levine said USC Village has provided many benefits for the community, such as economic prosperity and providing nearly $20 million for affordable housing. Protestors left their tents in Hahn Plaza for DPS to donate. “USC’s response to what’s going on in their own campus is laughable … This idea that they care about students is obviously false,” Itzcalli said. “USC is doing what USC does, which is using its money and its power not to help their students but figure out how to rig the system so it can continue to get away with it, whether it’s turning a blind eye to the sexual harassment or assault on campus.” “We were willing to facilitate them exercising the First Amendment,” Thomas said. “They did exactly what they told us they were going to do, and things worked out. In the letter delivered to the University Tuesday, the organization called for admission accessibility, housing affordability, community benefits, campus safety and labor rights.last_img read more