first_imgThe Parteen basin on Lough DergTHE COST of a controversial pipeline to take water from the River Shannon near Limerick City and deliver it Dublin is set to go over budget.The project is now likely to exceed the estimated €1.3 billion cited in the National Development Plan (NDP), according to Irish Water.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Plans for the Shannon pipeline to abstract water from the Parteen Basin have been met with fierce opposition from concerned environmentalists, farmers and tourism operators in Limerick, Clare and Tipperary.Irish Water has informed the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government that rising costs may put the project over budget but has not yet given any revised costings.The company plans to start construction of the pipeline in 2023 and estimates it will take up to four years to completeThe project was chosen as the viable option from a number of possible solutions to the growing demand for water in Dublin, including a seawater desalination plant.However, the River Shannon Protection Alliance (RSPA) says that Dublin could solve its water problems if it just tackled the leaks.Gerry Siney of the RSPA points out that Dublin is awash with water that needs to be filtered and purified regardless of its source.“They should insist that Irish Water implement a strategic plan for the replacement of Dublin’s ancient, corroded and leaking pipes. The replacement of these pipes is unavoidable and the taxpayer cannot be expected to finance a flawed pipeline scheme which represents the wrong solution,” he said. Previous articleWoman arrested and €72,000 seized in WestburyNext articleTalking Points: Early statements of intent and absences prove costly Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Twitter Facebook Advertisement WhatsAppcenter_img Linkedin Email Print NewsEnvironmentShannon pipeline would leak cashBy Bernie English – August 18, 2020 552 last_img read more


first_imgThe Government launched consultation documents on the EU Information andConsultation Directive and Employment Relations Act last week. The DTI’s review of the Employment Relations Act 1999 will examine statutoryunion recognition, family friendly policies in the workplace and fixed-termcontracts. The Engineering Employers Federation (EEF) is concerned the review is toobroad, and warns that it may generate additional regulations for business(News, 11 June). The EC Information and Consultation Directive is due to be adopted in the UKfrom March 2005 and will make employers inform and consult with staff ahead ofredundancies and business restructurings. The DTI has also launched a publication, Full and Fulfilling Employment,which outlines the Government’s vision for full employment and improvedproductivity. www.dti.gov.uk Comments are closed. Related posts:No related photos. DTI launches Employment Relations Act consultationOn 16 Jul 2002 in Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), Personnel Today Previous Article Next Articlelast_img read more


first_imgBasketball star LeBron James announced Wednesday that he and several other professional athletes plan to found a charitable organization to protect black Americans’ voting rights, five months ahead of the country’s presidential election, The New York Times reported.The move also comes as mammoth protests have swept the United States and the world calling for an end to hundreds of years of racial discrimination against black people.”We feel like we’re getting some ears and some attention, and this is the time for us to finally make a difference,” James told The New York Times.  The organization, called More Than A Vote, aims to encourage African Americans to register to vote and to show up to the polls for the November 3 elections.  The group will also fight against any factors that could contribute to African Americans’ disenfranchisement. “Yes, we want you to go out and vote, but we’re also going to give you the tutorial,” James told the Times. “We’re going to give you the background of how to vote and what they’re trying to do, the other side, to stop you from voting.”James, who has more than 135 million follows across Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, said he plans to use social media to denounce attempts to limit voting from racial minorities.  “King James” himself will finance the project, joined by basketball players Trae Young and Jalen Rose, football player Alvin Kamara and comedian Kevin Hart.The group plans to collaborate with other get-out-the-vote organizations, the newspaper reported, including When We All Vote and Fair Fight. The initiative comes as the US grapples with renewed anger over racism and police violence after the death of George Floyd, a 46-year-old African-American man who was killed last month when a police officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes.James had expressed his own anger on Instagram, posting Floyd’s last words “I can’t breathe.” The voting movement is not the Los Angeles Laker’s first foray into politics. He appeared at a campaign event for Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton in 2016. Nor is it his first charitable endeavor: He has offered university scholarships through the LeBron James Family Foundation and even set up a school for third through eighth graders in his home state of Ohio.  James also heads a production studio producing a documentary about the massacre of approximately 300 African Americans in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1921. center_img Topics :last_img read more


first_imgIndonesia booked its highest exports in six months, driven by rising shipments of agricultural and manufactured goods in September, Statistics Indonesia (BPS) announced Thursday.In a sign of improving global demand, Indonesia has booked a trade surplus for five consecutive months.Exports jumped 6.97 percent month-to-month (mtm) in September to US$14.01 billion, the highest recorded since March, before the pandemic took a great toll on the country’s economy. The figure, however, remained 0.5 percent lower than in September last year. Imports, meanwhile, rose 7.7 percent mtm to $11.57 billion in September due to rising incoming deliveries of raw materials and capital goods, but they are still almost 19 percent lower annually, as household spending remains well below pre-pandemic levels.As a result, the country booked a $2.44 billion trade surplus in September, bringing the total surplus so far this year to $13.51 billion.“The September trade data is an encouraging sign of economic recovery, as exports of agricultural and manufactured goods rose, while imports of raw materials for [manufacturing] also picked up,” BPS head Suhariyanto said in a press briefing on Thursday.Indonesia’s gross domestic product (GDP) shrank 5.32 percent year-on-year (yoy) in the second quarter as all GDP components but net exports contracted. Household spending as well as investment plunged deeper as the COVID-19 pandemic hit purchasing power and demand. Exports of manufactured goods, which contributed to around 80 percent to total exports, rose 6.61 percent yoy to $11.56 billion in September, driven by higher shipments of steel, palm oil and electrical equipment, among other things.Exports of agricultural products jumped 16.22 percent annually to $410 million due to rising exports of bird nests, shrimp and vegetables, among other commodities.Meanwhile, exports of oil and gas products fell 12.44 percent to $700 million amid lower oil prices, while exports of mining products plummeted 35 percent to $1.33 billion because of falling coal prices and lower demand for the commodity.On the other side, imports of both raw materials and capital goods increased in September to $8.32 billion and $2.13 billion, respectively, but are still down nearly 20 percent annually. Imports of consumer goods fell 20.38 percent yoy to $1.12 billion.“Demand from Indonesia’s major export destinations has shown a notable improvement following the global lockdown easing, while the global commodity prices indicate an upward trend,” Bank Mandiri chief economist Andry Asmoro wrote in a research note on Thursday. “These [factors] could support exports going forward.”However, the potential risk of a second wave of the coronavirus pandemic could hinder the export recovery and global economic activity, he stated, adding to a bleak outlook for imports as the still weak domestic demand would force businesses to postpone investment and production activities.On that basis, “Indonesia’s imports will keep contracting faster than exports in the last quarter of 2020,” he predicted.Bank Central Asia (BCA) economist David Sumual said the trade data reflected “the latest sign of recovery” in the country’s manufacturing sector, but the prospect of economic recovery remained uncertain this year.“The prospect of economic recovery in the fourth quarter will largely depend on the trajectory of the virus, because household spending will remain subdued until a vaccine is available,” he told the Post.Indonesia’s manufacturing activity has improved significantly in the third quarter compared to the second quarter, according to a survey conducted by Bank Indonesia (BI), as it expects activity to improve further in the fourth quarter.The rise in Indonesia’s non-oil and gas imports hinted at improvement in domestic demand, JP Morgan Emerging Markets Asia, Economic and Policy Research analyst Nur Raisah Rasid wrote in a note on Thursday.Business performance in the third quarter had improved significantly compared to the previous quarter, said Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Kadin) deputy chairwoman Shinta Kamdani.“We are confident that business performance will further recover following rising consumption before year-end, and we expect that people’s confidence will improve going forward in line with vaccine availability,” she said on text message on Thursday, adding that demand for Indonesian goods had also picked up in countries that had succeeded in controlling the pandemic.“On that basis, we are optimistic that the productivity of the national industry will get a boost from people’s rising confidence and rising market demand,” she stated. “But we still need to work hard to maintain people’s confidence in the economy through policy reforms and stimulus.”Topics :last_img read more


first_imgAVINASH Odit, Nicholas Ali, and Jonathan Mangra all made it into the semi-final round of the men’s singles, while Caribbean champion Priyanna Ramdhani picked up two wins in the ladies’ singles when competition in the National Sports Commission Mashramani Badminton tournament commenced on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium.In the men’s singles quarter-finals Odit triumphed over Javed Rahaman in a thrilling three-setter, the only three-set match of the day. The three-setter was forced after Rahaman ruled the second set 21-16. This was preceded by the 26-24 first set that Odit claimed.Odit secured the decisive third set 21-19.In other quarter-final matches Mangra ousted Gokarn Ramdhani 21-11, 21-7; and Ali succeeded 21-14, 21-6 against Marlon Chung. The last of semi-final spot will be determined today after the contest between Ronald Chang Yuen and Darrel Carpenay.Ramdhani defeated both Ayanna Watson and Emelia Ramdhani, in the ladies’ singles round-robin competition. Both times she secured straight-sets wins, beating Watson 21-9, 21-11, and then taking out Emelia 21-12, 21-12.Emelia took another hit when she played against Greer Jackson. Like Priyanna, Jackson also collected two wins. She claimed a 21-11, 21-10 victory against Emelia, and then went on to take down Priscilla Moore 21-10, 21-8.Moore was able to bounce back with a 21-15, 21-10 win against Ayanna Watson.The semifinals and finals of both the ladies’ and men’s singles are set to conclude today, paving the way for playoffs in the Under-11, U-13 and U-15 boys and girls singles to begin tomorrow.last_img read more


first_imgSophomore offensive tackle Kristofer Curtis will no longer play football for Syracuse after suffering an injury during the preseason, head coach Doug Marrone announced Wednesday.Curtis’ injury was never disclosed, but he spent most of training camp working off to the side at practices with Will Hicks, assistant athletics director for strength performance. With Curtis’ medical history, Marrone said team doctors determined it was best to keep him off the field.“I found out this afternoon, late, we had meetings,” Marrone said, “that our doctors recommended Kris, because of his medical issues, will not be able to play again.”The 6-foot-4, 273-pound Curtis redshirted last season, but he was expected to compete for a starting spot on the offensive line this season.Marrone was waiting to speak to Curtis’ parents before making the announcement, but Curtis tweeted about his future during the Orange’s practice Wednesday.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“I saw Kris just now. I said ‘Kris, why would you do that?’ He said, ‘Coach, I know, I made a mistake, I should’ve came in and spoken to you first,’” Marrone said. “So those things happen with kids and that’s the situation.” Comments Published on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 pm Contact Chris: [email protected] | @chris_iseman Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more