first_img February 26, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders (Reporters sans frontières) today urged interior minister Altaf Hossain Chowdhury to rescind an arrest warrant issued for Shawkat Milton, the correspondent of the daily Janakantha in the southern city of Barisal, who was forced to go into hiding on 12 March in order to avoid arrest.”This is not the first time that this courageous journalist had been the target of harassment by the authorities and politicians,” Reporters Without Borders said. In the past two years, he has been arrested once and physically attacked or threatened at least five times.Milton left his home on 12 March after learning that the local police had received an arrest warrant from Dhaka. He confirmed to Reporters Without Borders that he went into hiding for fear that he would be arrested. It was not known what charges Milton was facing.Janakantha has recently carried several reports by Milton on this week’s mayoral elections in Barisal in which the candidates include Mujibar Rahman Sarwar, a parliamentary leader of the ruling BNP party and associate of the home affairs state minister. One of Milton’s reports raised question about the methods Sarwar has used in the campaign. These reports annoyed Sarwar and other local BNP leaders, who reacted by calling for Milton’s arrest.On 7 September 2002, Milton was attacked by young BNP activists in Barisal and had to be hospitalised in Dhaka with serious injuries to both arms. Follow the news on Bangladesh RSF calls for the release of Bangladeshi journalist Rozina Islam, unfairly accused of espionage RSF_en Bangladeshi writer and blogger dies in detention Help by sharing this information BangladeshAsia – Pacific Bangladeshi reporter fatally shot by ruling party activists News Newscenter_img News Organisation Receive email alerts to go further BangladeshAsia – Pacific News March 17, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Janakantha correspondent goes into hiding to avoid arrest May 19, 2021 Find out more February 22, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more


first_imgThe Parteen basin on Lough DergTHE COST of a controversial pipeline to take water from the River Shannon near Limerick City and deliver it Dublin is set to go over budget.The project is now likely to exceed the estimated €1.3 billion cited in the National Development Plan (NDP), according to Irish Water.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Plans for the Shannon pipeline to abstract water from the Parteen Basin have been met with fierce opposition from concerned environmentalists, farmers and tourism operators in Limerick, Clare and Tipperary.Irish Water has informed the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government that rising costs may put the project over budget but has not yet given any revised costings.The company plans to start construction of the pipeline in 2023 and estimates it will take up to four years to completeThe project was chosen as the viable option from a number of possible solutions to the growing demand for water in Dublin, including a seawater desalination plant.However, the River Shannon Protection Alliance (RSPA) says that Dublin could solve its water problems if it just tackled the leaks.Gerry Siney of the RSPA points out that Dublin is awash with water that needs to be filtered and purified regardless of its source.“They should insist that Irish Water implement a strategic plan for the replacement of Dublin’s ancient, corroded and leaking pipes. The replacement of these pipes is unavoidable and the taxpayer cannot be expected to finance a flawed pipeline scheme which represents the wrong solution,” he said. Previous articleWoman arrested and €72,000 seized in WestburyNext articleTalking Points: Early statements of intent and absences prove costly Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Twitter Facebook Advertisement WhatsAppcenter_img Linkedin Email Print NewsEnvironmentShannon pipeline would leak cashBy Bernie English – August 18, 2020 552 last_img read more


first_imgAVINASH Odit, Nicholas Ali, and Jonathan Mangra all made it into the semi-final round of the men’s singles, while Caribbean champion Priyanna Ramdhani picked up two wins in the ladies’ singles when competition in the National Sports Commission Mashramani Badminton tournament commenced on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium.In the men’s singles quarter-finals Odit triumphed over Javed Rahaman in a thrilling three-setter, the only three-set match of the day. The three-setter was forced after Rahaman ruled the second set 21-16. This was preceded by the 26-24 first set that Odit claimed.Odit secured the decisive third set 21-19.In other quarter-final matches Mangra ousted Gokarn Ramdhani 21-11, 21-7; and Ali succeeded 21-14, 21-6 against Marlon Chung. The last of semi-final spot will be determined today after the contest between Ronald Chang Yuen and Darrel Carpenay.Ramdhani defeated both Ayanna Watson and Emelia Ramdhani, in the ladies’ singles round-robin competition. Both times she secured straight-sets wins, beating Watson 21-9, 21-11, and then taking out Emelia 21-12, 21-12.Emelia took another hit when she played against Greer Jackson. Like Priyanna, Jackson also collected two wins. She claimed a 21-11, 21-10 victory against Emelia, and then went on to take down Priscilla Moore 21-10, 21-8.Moore was able to bounce back with a 21-15, 21-10 win against Ayanna Watson.The semifinals and finals of both the ladies’ and men’s singles are set to conclude today, paving the way for playoffs in the Under-11, U-13 and U-15 boys and girls singles to begin tomorrow.last_img read more


first_imgSocial rugby also focuses on the fun factor, so there is an award for the most social team. This year, that went to the Chilliwack team – the Chilliwack/Chuckanut Platypuses.“(They) came dressed in their neon tights and form fitting costumes, showed no shame and hoisted a pint and shared a laugh with everyone else out there,” said Glaser.The tournament stands out because it is the only Rugby team in the Boundary. To make it even more special, the teams got to play with a custom-made, cowhide ball made in Greenwood at Ingram Creek Saddlery. This one-of-a-kind ball had its own personality, which added “unknowns” to the game, according to Glaser.There were four men’s teams at the tournament plus a couple mixed teams. One team was made up of “Old Boys,” referees and women. There was also a mixed team made up of women from Nelson and a few of the Scribes men. Glaser had hoped more teams would come out but a few last minute dropouts kept the teams small. He’s optimistic the tournament will gain in popularity and expects there to be twice as many teams next year.Glaser is happy with how the tournament went. The crowd had fun and felted welcomed by the Greenwood community. He credits Greenwood Coun. Barry Noll with helping the weekend go smoothly. Greenwood’s first annual social rugby tournament — held Aug 3 to 5 — was deemed a success with the Trail Colonials coming out ahead. Organized Oliver Glaser said the Colonials won a “very hard fought, final match” against the East Vancouver Scribes with the game ending 35 to 20.Glaser subbed in many of the games that weekend and felt the final match was the most intense of them all.last_img read more