first_imgROSEAU, Dominica (CMC): Kieran Powell said West Indies were keen to put in a really big effort to win the decisive third and final Test of the current series against Pakistan, starting tomorrow at Windsor Park here. The Windies are eager to prove that their stunning 107-run victory in the second Test which ended last Thursday at Kensington Oval in Barbados was no flash in the pan, as they aim to win their first Test series in four years and over a side ranked higher for the first time in eight years. “The guys are very happy about the performance in Barbados,” Powell told reporters on Sunday following a training session at the match venue. “The bowlers have been very consistent and they have been giving us an opportunity. Now it’s left for us – the batsmen – to put our hands up and put some good totals on the board, particularly in the first innings, so we can be far more competitive.” He added: “It does not happen often, so when West Indies are in town, we the fans should come out and support the team and encourage us to play some good, entertaining cricket. “It’s a Test match, so it would not be hurrah, hurrah. We expect it to be a long, hard graft over five days and we are hoping that we are the side that works harder and gets the positive result.” Powell has returned to the side for the series against the Pakistanis, starting with the preceding one-day internationals, following a three-year, self-imposed exile. Prior his walking away, he had been clearly identified as the other half of the solution to the opening batting problem that had plagued the side. Things have not quite worked according to plan. Though Powell had gotten starts he has failed to carry on and the problem at the top of the order has been compounded by a lack of success for the typically reliable Kraigg Brathwaite. “Returning to the side has not been that difficult,” he said. “If you take a shark out of the water and put it back in, it will swim – so I am swimming. “There are some areas in my batting that I have identified with the batting coach that we are working on. “The video data analyst has provided some footage and we have been examining it. I have also spoken to some people – some former players – so that I can try to rectify it for this match.”last_img read more


first_imgThe Prince of Wales has officially opened a purpose-built “home away from home” for the families of wounded troops being treated in hospital.Prince Charles Opens Fisher HouseHis Royal Highness met wounded service personnel and their families before cutting a ribbon and unveiling a plaque to mark the opening of the Help for Heroes-backed Fisher House at Birmingham’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital. The facility, thought to be the first UK-US military charity partnership, will provide long-term support to the loved ones of servicemen and women with life-changing injuries.The Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham Charity, Help for Heroes and American charity Fisher House Foundation have formed a partnership to create the 18-bedroom home. A five-minute walk from the wards where military patients injured overseas are treated, the new accommodation will be made available to their families at no charge.Offering spacious bedrooms, kitchen facilities, living rooms and a garden, the new £4.2 million building is designed to allow military families to share their experiences and support each other.The Prince of Wales, who has made numerous private visits to injured troops at the hospital in recent years, also chatted with staff who will help to run the newly opened home, which is modelled on a network of similar facilities in the United States.Earlier, The Prince visited Solihull in the West Midlands in his role as patron of Marie Curie Cancer Care.The Prince was joined by girl group The Saturdays as he officially opened a new £20 million Marie Curie Hospice.Building work at the site in Marsh Lane began two years ago and The Saturdays have supported the project since its inception.His Royal Highness visited the hospice’s day service centre with the pop stars and met in-patients privately before also meeting volunteer gardeners and staff.Commenting after the visit, Marie Curie chief executive Dr Jane Collins said: “We are honoured that His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales and The Saturdays were able to attend today and open our new hospice and meet our staff, volunteers and patients.“We are grateful to everyone who has been involved in raising the funds to build this fantastic new hospice, which will allow us to care for more patients across the West Midlands.”The Saturdays member Rochelle Humes, making her first public appearance since giving birth to a baby girl in May, said: “It is such an honour to be part of such a special day and amazing to see how fantastic the hospice looks.“We are all very proud to be ambassadors for Marie Curie.”Source:PrinceOfWales.gov.uklast_img read more


first_img Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment It looks like today was Legends of Tomorrow’s turn — again — to host the four-way crossover of The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and Legends.Legends of Tomorrow’s Mick Rory (Dominic Purcell) shared a photo of himself with The Flash’s Barry allen (Grant Gustin) and another with a P.O.T.U.S. podium inside. Advertisement Facebook Advertisement Twitterlast_img


first_imgManchester City winger Leroy Sane has no doubts over Fernandinho’s importance to them following their 2-1 win over LiverpoolThe Brazilian midfielder played his second game since returning from a two-week layoff and put in another outstanding performance as City closed the gap at the top of the Premier League to four points.Fernandinho’s absence coincided with City’s back-to-back defeats to Crystal Palace and Leicester City last month with pundit Paul Merson believing the 33-year-old is key to their title hopes.Sane, who scored the match-winner at the Etihad Stadium to inflict a first league defeat to Liverpool, held out special praise for Fernandinho.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“Everyone knows Fernandinho is important for us,” Sane told CityTV.“He has to defend the ball, win the ball, pass the ball!“He had an amazing game and I’m so pleased he is back for us.”Pep Guardiola’s side will next face Rotherham on Sunday in the FA Cup before taking on Burton in the first leg of their Carabao Cup semi-final clash next week.last_img read more


first_imgFormer Real Madrid striker Fernando Morientes has predicted a bright future for young winger Vinicius Junior can following his excellent displays in the Spanish capital.The Brazilian has become a regular in Los Blancos following the absence of Gareth Bale and Isco who has fallen down Solari’s pecking order.The 18-year-old who completed a €45million move to Madrid in July 2018 scored his second La Liga goal of the season in Sunday’s 3-0 victory over Deportivo Alaves.8 – Vinícius Júnior has been involved in eight goals for @realmadriden in Copa del Rey this season (two goals and six assists), more than any other LaLiga player. Start pic.twitter.com/u0HvmgzJP6— OptaJose (@OptaJose) February 6, 2019And was impressive in the first leg of the Copa del Rey semi-final against Barcelona on Wednesday.Morientes said via FourFourTwo: “We were all keen to see Vinicius play, to see how he develops. I think he’s a very impressive player, he’s very good in one-on-ones and making runs.“He’s still very young, we need time to see the kind of player he will be but if he continues to play the way he is now he’ll be a world-class player, no doubt.“We should give him time though, you can’t burden such a young player with too much responsibility especially at a club like Real Madrid.”Morientes says Vinicius reminds him of Savio – the former winger who claimed three Champions League crowns with Madrid around the turn of the century.Gerard Pique, Neymar, BarcelonaLa Liga Betting: Match-day 4 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Despite it being very early into La Liga season, both Barcelona and Real Madrid have had unprecedented starts to their campaigns. With this in…“Obviously Savio was a little older but they have similar traits; daring, pace on the ball and one-on-one ability,” added Morientes.“And they’re both Brazilians, of course. Both came from a very different football style in Brazil, but they adapted quickly.“So I’d say Vinicius reminds me of Savio, for their playing style and their position out on the left.”📊| Only Karim Benzema (23), Gareth Bale (16) and Sergio Ramos (11) have been involved in more goals than Vinícius Júnior (10) for Real Madrid in all competitions this season. #HalaMadrid pic.twitter.com/h99QaSxjKL— Real Madrid News (@onlyrmcfnews) February 4, 2019Morientes a former teammate of Solari at the Santiago Bernabeu had some kind words for the Argentine gaffer.He said: “Solari was a great team-mate. A very nice, friendly guy.“He liked to joke around. But he was also a very hard worker, a top professional, the kind of guy you always want in your team both when he’s playing and when he’s not.“He always contributed, and not just on the pitch. A great player and a great team-mate, both on and off the pitch.”last_img read more


first_img Categories: Local San Diego News, Trending Updated: 8:40 PM Posted: November 16, 2018 November 16, 2018 Surprise siamang gibbon birth at the San Diego Zoo KUSI Newsroom Photo taken by: Christina Simmons, San Diego ZooSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A 37-year-old siamang gibbon at the San Diego Zoo recently gave birth to the zoo’s first siamang baby in 12 years despite being on birth control, the zoo announced today.The siamang, named Eloise, gave birth in its exhibit on Nov. 12 while zoo volunteers and guests looked on. Eloise and a 35-year-old male siamang had conceived six baby gibbons in the past, but the newest one came as a surprise to zoo officials.Given that their genes had clearly been passed on multiple times, the zoo had limited the two siamangs’ fertility with chemical birth control for an undisclosed number of years prior to the surprise birth.“It was amazing to see Eloise give birth this week, because she showed no outward signs of being pregnant,” said Zoo Animal Care Manager Jill Andrews.  “We’re not certain why birth control didn’t work in this case, but as with humans, it is not uncommon for contraceptive failure to happen from time to time. Still, we are overjoyed — because any birth of an endangered species is a reason to celebrate.”Siamangs are an endangered species of gibbon found in parts of India, Indonesia and Bangladesh. According to the zoo, their endangered classification by the International Union for Conservation of Nature is due to habitat loss brought on by logging and agriculture as well as illegal pet trading.Zoo guests can visit the three siamangs along the zoo’s Orangutan Trail. The zoo’s animal care staff will determine the baby’s gender in the coming months when they have a chance to give it a full health examination. FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, last_img read more


first_imgCommunities will need to find new ways to support military families and veterans as the military adapts new strategies and personnel policies, Defense Secretary Ash Carter told the National Association of Counties’ (NACo) annual conference in Charlotte, N.C., on Saturday.Carter mentioned two changes the military is considering as it designs new personnel policies to build and retain the Force of the Future.“Transition out of the military will look different than it did 70 years ago, or, for that matter, 10 years ago,” he said, reported DOD News. “It’ll mean that in the future, some might only serve for a time, while others may spend 25 years moving back and forth between national service and other opportunities.”Officials also are exploring adjustments that would reduce the frequency of moves for service members, allowing military families to stay in one community longer and establish more stable lives.And because many of the changes DOD is contemplating are designed to ensure the military attracts the nation’s top science and technology talent, Carter urged NACo members to continue the emphasis on science, technology, engineering and math programs in their schools.The bottom line is that counties and local communities “are the source of the American military’s enduring strength, because you provide our men and women in uniform the preparation, the care and the purpose they need to defend our country,” Carter said.The secretary pressed communities to strive not only to support the members of the armed forces, “but to know our troops.”“Let’s make a future where this is a two-way street where both military and civilian communities contribute to each other,” he said.When veterans come into communities, “empower them with opportunities to continue leading lives of meaning and purpose,” he told the audience.“To be clear, they aren’t looking for handouts,” Carter said. Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more