first_imgBEIJING (AP): Argentine striker Carlos Tevez has signed to play for Shanghai Shenhua, becoming the latest in a procession of star players to join the Chinese Super League. Shanghai Shenhua said yesterday that they paid an US$11 million transfer fee to Argentine club Boca Juniors. A person familiar with the negotiations said the 32-year-old Tevez would be paid US$40 million over two years. The source spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to divulge details of the transaction. Tevez is expected to join team training on the Japanese island of Okinawa next month, with a formal introduction to follow soon afterward. The next Super League season begins in March. Chinese clubs have spent heavily over the past year to attract mainly South American stars. Last week, Shenhua’s city rivals Shanghai SIPG sealed a deal with Oscar from Chelsea. Other stars to join Chinese clubs include the Brazilians Hulk, Ramires and Paulinho, Colombian striker Jackson Martinez and Argentine forward Ezequiel Lavezzi. Tevez will be coached by Gus Poyet, the former Sunderland and Real Betis manager who became Shenhua’s manager in November. Other internationally recognised managers in the Chinese Super League include Guangzhou Evergrande coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, Shanghai SIPG coach Andre Villas-Boas, and Hebei China Fortune’s Manuel Pellegrini. China’s government wants to turn the country into a football power, setting the goal of having a team capable of winning the World Cup by 2050. Leading the national team is Italian coach Marcello Lippi, signed earlier this year to a hefty contract of his own. China has also invested in youth soccer and building stronger pipelines to develop homegrown talent.last_img read more


first_img Awareness “One of the things we stress is that coaches must select the events for the swimmers, and to know where their athletes are in terms of their fitness, and peaking, tapering from the various meets they compete in,” he said. He was quick to point out that the ASAJ does not have any mandatory rules requiring athletes to compete in all meets prior to CARIFTA. “They alone (coaches) can determine that, and we just make the meets available for the achievements of the times and performances,” Lamey said. One of the important qualifying meets some will be expected to compete in will be the national age group championships. It is the final qualifier, to be followed by national team selection. At least 20 per cent of Jamaica’s CARIFTA contingent will be made up overseas-based swimmers this year. Buoyed by over 30 local juniors who have achieved CAR-IFTA Swimming Championships qualifying times, Handel Lamey, Amateur Swimming Association of Jamaica (ASAJ) president, wants coaches to keep their charges “fresh and injury free” so that they can, hopefully, equal or better last year’s performances. “The teams are in training; preparations are going well. At-least over 30 swimmers have made the qualifying cuts (time) for Carifta,” revealed Lamey, noting that expectations are “very good”. The annual championships will be held in Nassau, The Bahamas, over the Easter weekend, beginning on April 15. “We are expecting to repeat or better the performances that we did last year because we have the same number of competitors, and we have had additions to the team, and we expect great things from them,” Lamey told The Gleaner. Jamaica will be competing against 25 participating countries amid hopes of equalling, or bettering, the eight gold, nine silver, and eight bronze (25 medals) achieved at the championships in Martinique last year. Although the ASAJ makes a lot of local meets available to help condition young swimmers for regional competitions like Carifta, and which will ultimately aid their development in the sport, Lamey is insistent that coaches should save their athletes for important events and avoid fatigue.last_img read more


first_img0Shares0000Manchester United’s manager Jose Mourinho watches as Manchester United’s Matteo Darmian passes the ball during the match against Stoke City in Stoke-on-Trent © AFP / Geoff CADDICKSTOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom, Sep 10 – Jose Mourinho claimed his confidence in his Manchester United side remains intact despite seeing Stoke City end their perfect start to the Premier League season with a 2-2 draw.Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting scored twice for the Potters, becoming the first player to score against United in four games this season and making Stoke the first side to deny them maximum points. Mourinho saw poor defending for both of the Cameroon international’s goals cost his side a fourth successive victory at the start of the season, but he declared himself pleased with United’s position on top of the table, ahead of Manchester City on goal difference.“It’s easy to feel it that some of the players were not with the sharpness and intensity and with the decision-making,” he said.“I know after national teams there are no miracles or injuries or fatigue or lack of concentration and we had a little bit of everything.“So I’m not disappointed with the players, I’m not critical with it, it’s just a natural consequence.“Four matches, 10 points, top of the league, we are okay. We know that with the teams in the league is a difficult match and every point is a point you have to fight hard for so I’m exactly the same mentality and mood that I had after three matches and nine points, 10-0 in goals.“A draw was a fair result. One team wanted to win, another team wanted to draw, but the team that wanted to draw fought hard for that.“They defended a lot and it’s becoming quite trendy in the Premier League, this way of defending.“But they did well and the team were physically very strong and they probably deserved the point.“We tried to win in the last 20 minutes, that was clear, but we couldn’t and we can say we could score more goals and win, yes, but we could also not concede that second goal, which was really a bad goal to concede.“But it’s a point and probably Stoke City deserved the point.”– Touchline spat –Mourinho refused to criticise Phil Jones for giving Choupo-Moting a free header for Stoke’s equaliser, and played down a spat with opposite number Mark Hughes.Former United striker Hughes pushed Mourinho during the game when he entered the Stoke technical area and Mourinho refused to shake his opposite number’s hand at the final whistle.“I prefer not to answer question about handshakes,” Mourinho told the BBC. “It’s a bad question. It makes it look like it’s my fault but that’s not right.”“I pushed him because he was in my technical area,” Hughes admitted. “Maybe that’s why he didn’t want to shake my hand.“Maybe it’s because it could be viewed as a negative result for him.“Coming to Stoke City when everybody expected them to beat us is a negative.“Sometimes managers of the top-six clubs don’t take negative results too kindly and maybe he reacted the wrong way.“The performance today was better than the performance against Arsenal when we won and I think that tells you how well we played and how Manchester United will test teams.“I think they were excellent and we needed to step up to the challenge.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more