first_img Mario Balotelli AC Milan have confirmed the return of Mario Balotelli, who has left Liverpool to re-join the Serie A giants in a season-long loan deal.The maverick Italian striker moves back to his homeland after failing to prove himself Anfield following his £16million move from Milan last summer.In his first spell with Milan, Balotelli scored 30 times in 54 appearances but never came close to replicating that on Merseyside, with just four goals in 28 games.And having struggled to make an impact at Liverpool, Balotelli is determined to prove his critics wrong this season.“I feel like someone who has just put the first part of his career to one side. Played and lived like a boy. But the ‘match’ is not over… Now I will have my say and live like a man,” he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.“I know that many people don’t believe in my comeback. But I have to try. And have the belief that I can do it. I have a promise to keep to myself, my family, and all those that want the best for me… I know that I cannot make any more mistakes. I will accept all of the rules. I haven’t forgotten how to play football.“I am 25 years old and I am no longer a kid. I’ve wasted too many chances.”When asked how a return to Milan came about, he added: “It all happened so quickly. Raiola [Balotelli’s agent] told me on Saturday.“I knew I would find another team because I am not finished. But I am grateful to Milan, because, to tell the truth, I did not expect them to bring me back. The ‘yes’ from Berlusconi was the biggest surprise of them all.“My time at Liverpool? I take my responsibilities, but the system chosen by Rodgers wasn’t suited to my characteristics.“[AC Milan manager] Mihajlovic? He wanted to look me in the eyes, to understand if I had the right motivation. He listened to me: I told him that I have understood my errors and that if he gave me this chance, I would not let him down. I have a huge debt towards him.” 1last_img read more


first_imgChelsea target Paul Pogba has hinted he could leave Juventus next summer.The former Manchester United man was chased by the Blues during the recent transfer window but no deal was agreed.The France international was reportedly keen to stay with the Italian champions as he continues to prepare for Euro 2016 next summer.However, while admitting he is committed to Juve now, the midfielder has hinted he could leave in the future.“Why did I stay? Why not? It was not a certainty I would leave,” the 22-year-old told Telefoot.“I am at Juventus, I am only thinking about Juventus.“I am at Juventus, but I do not know for how long. We will do this year and then see how things go.” 1 Paul Pogba last_img


first_img Right-back: Cuco Martina (Southampton) – Even Martina admitted he was shocked by the quality of his goal in the 4-0 win against Arsenal but it was part of a hugely impressive all-round performance. The right back channelled his inner Roberto Carlos to curl home a beauty to become the first Curacaoan player to score in the Premier League. 11 Striker: Harry Kane (Tottenham) – Not many still think Kane is a one-season wonder. The Spurs striker now has 12 goals in his last 11 games after a comparatively dry start to the campaign and is getting back to the sensational levels he set last year. Norwich had no answer. Right midfield: Kevin De Bruyne (Man City) – Ten goals and ten assists in his first four months is a hugely impressive return for City’s £56m man and he completely tore Sunderland to shreds at the Eithad. Two assists and a well taken second-half strike saw him deservedly pick up the man of the match award – and he was probably our player of the day too. 11 Left midfield: Marko Arnautovic (Stoke) – When Arnautovic plays well, Stoke usually excel and that was the case against Manchester United on Boxing Day. The Austrian not only struck a fantastic goal for the Potters’ second of the day, he also worked hard to help out left-back Erik Pieters as the Red Devils’ attack was stifled. Centre-back: Ryan Shawcross (Stoke) – Stoke’s defence has improved drastically since Shawcross’ return from injury last month and he again excelled against the lively Anthony Martial. 11 11 11 Striker: Shane Long (Southampton) – In the absence of Graziano Pelle against Arsenal, Long didn’t give Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny a moment’s rest. His two goals were very well taken as he sent a positive message to manager Ronald Koeman. 11 getty center_img Central midfield: Dele Alli (Tottenham) – Looking more and more like the real deal every week, Alli has made the number ten role his own in a markedly improved Tottenham side. The young England midfielder was brilliant against Norwich and is making it hard for Roy Hodgson to leave him out of the Euro 2016 reckoning. Central midfield: Jordan Henderson (Liverpool) – Henderson’s return to the Liverpool starting XI has given Jurgen Klopp a major boost and he was back to his insatiable, relentless best in the Reds’ win over Leicester. The midfielder completed 41 passes in the Foxes’ half yesterday – no player bettered that – while he edged a fine battle in the centre with N’Golo Kante. 11 Are people still really calling for a winter break in English football?The festive period is now in full swing after a rip-roaring Boxing Day fixture list that amassed 23 goals and plenty of talking points.Arsenal proved they are still very much Arsenal after surrendering the chance to top the table by being mauled at Southampton, while Louis van Gaal is very much on thin ice after his Manchester United side suffered a third successive league defeat.Leicester, amazingly, suffered their first away league loss of the season as Liverpool became the first team to stop the Foxes scoring, while Manchester City and Tottenham cemented their top four spots.But which players stood out on Boxing Day?Click the yellow arrow above, right, to see who made talkSPORT’s team of the day… 11 11 Left-back: Ben Davies (Tottenham) – Davies was handed a rare start by Mauricio Pochettino against Norwich but looked accomplished deputising for Danny Rose. The left-back will be hoping for more of the same ahead of a big summer with the Welsh national team. 11 Goalkeeper: Jack Butland (Stoke) – In blustery conditions at the Britannia, Butland continued his excellent season form by keeping Manchester United at bay in the second half of Stoke’s 2-0 win. A save from Marouane Fellaini particularly stood out. 11 Centre-back: Jose Fonte (Southampton) – Fonte says its painful to watch Southampton struggle like they have last_img read more


first_imgHenri Saivet was unveiled to St James’ Park before Newcastle’s draw with Manchester United, 24 hours after signing for the club. The 25-year-old Senegal international joined the club for an undisclosed fee, understood to be in the region of £5million, on a five and a half-year contract.He came through the ranks at Bordeaux, making his senior debut at the age of 17 and going on to score 23 goals in 178 appearances.See some of his best bits above!last_img


first_imgFormer Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes there is every chance Luis Suarez COULD make a return to Anfield, after the striker admitted he ‘misses’ the Merseyside club.Suarez left the Reds to join Spanish giants Barcelona in a £75million switch in July 2014 and proved an instant hit, so far netting 54 goals in his one and a half seasons at the Catalan side.Liverpool, meanwhile, have felt the full force of the Uruguay hitman’s absence and have so far struggled to replace the home favourite, whose 31 Premier League goals took the club agonisingly close to the 2013/14 top flight title.However, Suarez seemingly opened the door to a surprise homecoming on Tuesday, saying Liverpool ‘are in [his] heart’ and that he would not play for another Premier League club if a move back to England was on the cards.And ex-Reds boss Rodgers believes the striker’s unique relationship with the Anfield faithful could well see their beloved number seven make a return.Speaking exclusively to the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, Rodgers said: “I think he certainly misses the passion of the Liverpool supporters and he loved the competition of the Premier League.“Luis is enjoying it out there at Barcelona, but I think if he did ever come back there would certainly be only one club he’d want to play for.“He absolutely loved it at Liverpool, the supporters adored him and he gave absolutely everything.“Barcelona was an incredible move for Luis, and it’s such a great credit to him that his move made an already world class team even better.“It’s a joy to watch him score goals and work as hard as he does for one of the best teams in the world…but you never know.”LISTEN TO THE FULL INTERVIEW WITH BRENDAN RODGERS ON TALKSPORT HERERead more:Liverpool FC news: ‘Klopp rates Benteke – he tried to sign him!’ Brendan Rodgers tells talkSPORTLiverpool FC news: Reds players programmed to play Jurgen Klopp way, says Brendan RodgersLiverpool transfer news: Rodgers reveals Liverpool’s thinking on potential Sturridge salelast_img read more


first_imgHere is a selection of Sunday’s gossip from the papers…Manchester City are favourites to sign John Stones from Everton, not that his transfer fee has risen to a staggering £50m. (Sunday Mirror)Chelsea will make a summer move for Atletico Madrid’s £60m-rated forward Antoine Griezmann, IF Eden Hazard makes a big money move to Real Madrid or Paris St-Germain. (Mail on Sunday)The Glazer family have demanded Manchester United make cost cuts of up to 15 per cent in most departments behind the scenes. (Sunday Express)Real Madrid will bid £23m for Manchester United’s David de Gea, but not until the summer. (Sunday People)Tottenham will make a final bid for West Brom’s Saido Berahino before the transfer window closes on Monday. (Sunday Mirror)But Newcastle United are plotting club record £34m bid for Berahino. (Sunday Times)Leicester City have bid £11.5m for Chelsea striker Loic Remy, which is believed to have been accepted. (The Independent) The title-chasing Foxes will also target Crystal Palace striker Dwight Gayle, although Swansea bid £7m for the player on Friday. (Sunday People)Newcastle will offer £7m for Swansea striker Bafetimbi Gomis. (Sunday Telegraph)Everton are pursuing Lokomotiv Moscow’s Senegal striker Oumar Niasse, 25, as a potential replacement for Romelu Lukaku. Niasse would set the Toffees back £13.5m. (Sun on Sunday)Nigeria striker Emmanuel Emenike is on the verge of joining West Ham on loan. (Metro) 1 Sunday’s newspapers last_img read more


first_imgLiverpool and Tottenham legends Steven Gerrard and Robbie Keane teamed up in this brilliant prank video from LA Galaxy.The former Reds team-mates donned disguises to play a joke on fellow Galaxy star – and ex-Spurs forward – Giovani Dos Santos at the launch of the MLS side’s new kit for the upcoming season.Was the Mexican fooled? Find out in the video above!last_img


first_img1 Victor Valdes’ miserable spell at Manchester United might be nearing its end after the player received contact from Sporting Lisbon about a possible move. The former Barcelona goalkeeper fell out with United manager Louis van Gaal last summer and is currently on loan at Belgian club Standard Liege. Valdes is due to return to Old Trafford in the summer but United are trying to work on a deal to get him off their books as soon as possible. And now, according to AS, the 34-year-old Spaniard has been in contact with Sporting about a one-year deal. Sporting are currently three points clear of Benfica at the top of the Primeira Liga and will be able to offer Valdes Champions League football next season. Victor Valdes last_img


first_img Girls volleyball Falyn Fanoimoana led national No. 1 Mira Costa (23-0, 7-0) with 13 kills in a 25-11, 25-11, 25-23 Bay League victory at Palos Verdes. Also in the Bay League . . . Peninsula 3, Leuzinger 0: Sam Alaga had 12 kills as host Peninsula defeated Leuzinger, 25-5, 25-9, 25-15. Kat Garner had five kills for Peninsula (9-11, 4-3). Redondo 3, West Torrance 0: Taylor Moore led host Redondo (18-5, 6-1) with 12 kills in a 25-14, 25-18, 25-12 win over West (8-11, 1-6). Lauren Edwards had three kills and five digs. In the Prep League . . . Chadwick 3, Pasadena 1: Casey Reed had nine kills, four aces and 16 digs, helping Chadwick defeat host Pasadena Poly, 25-18, 25-13, 22-25, 25-15. Nikki Lane had 21 assists and 10 digs for Chadwick (9-7, 7-3). Boys water polo Matt Pittluck had five goals, helping El Segundo defeat visiting Torrance (0-7), 14-4, in an Ocean League game. Matt Kubeck had six saves for El Segundo (12-8). JC women’s volleyball Marcella Hernandez had 14 kills and six blocks in El Camino’s 30-18, 30-21, 30-18 South Coast Conference sweep at East L.A. Natalie Benitez added nine kills and eight digs for El Camino (19-1, 8-0).160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.It will be up to the school districts if teams want to postpone games until Saturday, or even Monday, as long as teams don’t violate a rule limiting programs to two football games within an eight-day span. “Monday is always a possibility,” Southern Section spokesman Thom Simmons said. “I don’t know specifically about (each region), but the decision is up to the school districts. If they make a decision not to participate for health reasons, obviously we would support that.” In 2003, some teams in the region played on a Monday because of fire delays. City Section assistant commissioner Cheryl Barkovich said they’ll continue to follow the directives of the Environmental Health and Safety Office, which again canceled outdoor after-school activity Wednesday. “We’re just going on a day-to-day basis,” Barkovich said. “If we’re not cleared (Thursday), we’ll deal with it. There are some different possibilities, so we’re not making any decisions. We just can’t say for sure.” From staff reports Hey, prep football fans, are you ready for some Monday Night Football? It could happen for some teams if the air quality doesn’t improve because of the fires, say officials from the L.A. City Section and Southern Section. For the third consecutive day, City teams weren’t allowed to practice outdoors after school, while many Southern Section teams were forced to take it easy on Wednesday because of the smoky conditions. last_img read more


first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A 10-year-old boy who admitted to setting the Buckweed brush fire while playing with matches will not be facing criminal charges, the District Attorney’s Office said today. Prosecutors said the boy did not intentionally set the blaze, which blackened more than 38,000 acres in Agua Dulce and Santa Clarita last month. The case was referred to the county Department of Children and Family Services to determine if other intervention is needed. Sheriff’s and county Fire Department investigators interviewed the boy Oct. 22, a day after the fire began. “After talking with the suspect, he admitted to playing with matches and accidentally starting the fire,” sheriff’s Sgt. Diane Hecht said. The Buckweed Fire, which began on Oct. 21 at Mint Canyon Road and Sierra Highway, burned 38,356 acres. Four people, including a firefighter, were injured, 63 structures were destroyed and another 30 were damaged. The fire cost more than $7.4 million to fight, fire officials said.last_img read more