first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img


first_imgGoogle LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Facebook A member of the Maluku Legislative Council has called on local authorities not to renew a permit for a logging company in Eastern Seram regency, as the Sabuai indigenous people have voiced objections to the company operating in a forest they claim to have customary rights to.”I don’t know about fellow councilors, but I have proposed to the Maluku Forestry Agency not to renew its timber exploitation permit [IPK]. It’s better not to,” councilor Aziz hentihu told reporters recently.He accused the company — Sumber Berkat Makmur — of abusing its nutmeg plantation permit, which was granted by the regency of Eastern Seram a few years ago, to secure the timber exploitation permit and conduct unlawful logging in Sabuai. The timber exploitation permit would expire this month.The company’s activities in the Sabuai forest have run up against protes… Log in with your social account Forgot Password ? #Maluku Maluku customary-forest #forest indigenous-people #IndigenousPeople forest Topics : Linkedinlast_img read more


first_imgIt held that ground to stand at $1.0838 per euro on Friday – ahead 2.7 percent for the week. Against a basket of currencies the dollar is up 1.8 percent for the week so far at 100.210, its best performance since mid-March.Moves in Asian trade were slight since traders are bracing for bad news when monthly US payrolls data is published at 1230 GMT.The coronavirus pandemic is worsening in the United States and as lockdowns extend, weekly jobless claims already soared to a massive 6.6 million last week.The dollar was firmer against most other major currencies, last trading at $0.6054 per Australian dollar, $0.5903 per New Zealand dollar and $1.2376 per pound. It bought 108.00 Japanese yen.”The US labour market has more or less collapsed,” said Commonwealth Bank of Australia currency analyst Joe Capurso.”The increase in the dollar because of the poor US economic data reflects the dollar’s status as a counter-cyclical currency. It lifts when the global economy deteriorates, even if the deterioration in the global economy is the US”CBA forecasts a 200,000 drop in employment, higher than the median estimate of a 100,000 drop according to a Reuters’ survey of economists – though like most, they expect far worse to come as the data catches up to the damage in the real economy.Global coronavirus cases surpassed 1 million on Thursday, with more than 52,000 deaths as the pandemic spread further in the United States and the death toll climbed in Spain and Italy, according to a Reuters tally of official data.Japanese bank Nomura expects the world economy contracted 18 percent in the first quarter, on an annualised basis, and is tracking toward shrinking 4 percent in 2020.The overnight 21 percent surge in the price of crude oil futures to $29.94 gave fleeting support to commodity currencies, especially the oil-exposed Norwegian krone, which hit a three-week high, and Canadian dollar.Flows out of just about every asset in emerging markets in to the dollar continue, with MSCI’s emerging market currency index sitting not far above three-year lows touched last month.”Until the virus peaks, we anticipate the selling pressure will prevail and capital outflows will continue, although the biggest wave may have occurred in March,” said Piotr Matys, senior emerging markets FX Strategist at Rabobank in London.”If a synchronised global recession transforms into depression, then all bets will be off.”Topics : The dollar edged toward an almost 2 percent weekly rise on Friday, boosted by a surge in the oil price and as investors sought safety amid the worsening economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.The gains consolidate the dollar’s strength after a topsy-turvy end to last month, which had the dollar soaring in a scramble for cash, then slumping as the US Federal Reserve flooded the market with liquidity.The largest ever daily gain in crude oil prices helped the greenback to its best day in two weeks against the euro overnight, since the United States is the world’s top oil and gas producer.last_img read more


first_imgThe Cooperatives and SMEs Ministry launched Thursday an online learning platform called edukukm.id to further help small businesses sell on-demand products during the crisis.With a budget of less than Rp 400 million, the platform offers courses on various subjects such as the production of personal protective equipment (PPE), face masks, hand sanitizers and herbal drinks.On e-commerce platform Bukalapak, demand for medical equipment such as masks, hand sanitizers and thermometers recently rose by 90 percent, said Teten, who formerly served as the presidential chief of staff.“This learning platform is for all small businesses and cooperatives in the country,” the ministry’s deputy of human resources development, Arif Rahman Hakin, said.Topics : “We want to propose that such enterprises receive social assistance,” Teten said in an online briefing. “But we have had difficulties collecting detailed data on how many of them can be classified as the new poor, which would make them eligible for direct cash assistance.”Apart from the cash assistance, the government also plans to provide a loan interest subsidy for borrowers under the micro, small and medium enterprises category. The subsidies will cover a loan interest ranging from 2 to 6 percent for up to six months.Through UMi, small businesses are currently eligible for a short-term loan at a maximum Rp 10 million (US$670.47) with an interest of between 2 and 4 percent.Over 60 million small businesses, which make up more than half of the country’s economy, are suffering losses and shutting down operations because of the travel and social restrictions put in place to contain the fast-spreading coronavirus. The government’s plan to provide social assistance for ultra-micro enterprises affected by the COVID-19 pandemic has been hindered by a lack of data, Cooperatives and Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) Minister Teten Masduki has said.Teten said on Thursday that the government planned to provide direct cash assistance as pandemic relief for unbanked small enterprises, particularly those that had taken out loans from the Finance Ministry’s ultra-micro financing (UMi) program.Teten said small businesses, which employed nearly 97 percent of the country’s workforce, had suffered a 57 percent decline in sales since the outbreak unfolded.last_img read more


first_imgBasketball star LeBron James announced Wednesday that he and several other professional athletes plan to found a charitable organization to protect black Americans’ voting rights, five months ahead of the country’s presidential election, The New York Times reported.The move also comes as mammoth protests have swept the United States and the world calling for an end to hundreds of years of racial discrimination against black people.”We feel like we’re getting some ears and some attention, and this is the time for us to finally make a difference,” James told The New York Times.  The organization, called More Than A Vote, aims to encourage African Americans to register to vote and to show up to the polls for the November 3 elections.  The group will also fight against any factors that could contribute to African Americans’ disenfranchisement. “Yes, we want you to go out and vote, but we’re also going to give you the tutorial,” James told the Times. “We’re going to give you the background of how to vote and what they’re trying to do, the other side, to stop you from voting.”James, who has more than 135 million follows across Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, said he plans to use social media to denounce attempts to limit voting from racial minorities.  “King James” himself will finance the project, joined by basketball players Trae Young and Jalen Rose, football player Alvin Kamara and comedian Kevin Hart.The group plans to collaborate with other get-out-the-vote organizations, the newspaper reported, including When We All Vote and Fair Fight. The initiative comes as the US grapples with renewed anger over racism and police violence after the death of George Floyd, a 46-year-old African-American man who was killed last month when a police officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes.James had expressed his own anger on Instagram, posting Floyd’s last words “I can’t breathe.” The voting movement is not the Los Angeles Laker’s first foray into politics. He appeared at a campaign event for Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton in 2016. Nor is it his first charitable endeavor: He has offered university scholarships through the LeBron James Family Foundation and even set up a school for third through eighth graders in his home state of Ohio.  James also heads a production studio producing a documentary about the massacre of approximately 300 African Americans in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1921. center_img Topics :last_img read more


first_imgThe coronavirus pandemic could permanently alter container transportation practices, Calfornia’s Port of Oakland cautioned. Image Courtesy: Port of Oakland As explained, shipping lines may consolidate more cargo on bigger ships while reducing the frequency of voyages. Supply chains could be altered, too, the port said. For example, the online purchasing explosion prompted by shelter-in-place orders may hasten distribution center reconfiguration or consolidation. Distribution hubs could be relocated to more central locations to serve population centers from fewer outlets. Posted: 5 months ago The port told freight haulers that 20 May and June voyages to Oakland have been cancelled. The result could be a 5-to-15 per cent drop in containerized cargo volume heading into summer. “Distribution patterns will change…it won’t be like it was.” Fewer containerships would likely mean less cargo at the port this spring, Oakland maritime officials said in a message delivered to the Harbor Trucking Association last week.  Canceled sailings could hit cargo volume “It’s a clouded picture. About 10 percent of our scheduled vessel arrivals have been canceled by shipping lines, but we don’t know if that will translate into a similar drop in volume,” Hwang noted. Port of Oakland welcomes its largest boxship ever The port added that Oakland exports to South Korea increased 31 per cent last month and to Japan 18 per cent. In March 2020, the port’s full imports stood at 67,035 TEUs, a decrease when compared to 74,714 TEUs handled in the corresponding month last year, the Port of Oakland’s monthly container statistics show. Full exports were 83,782 TEUs in March 2020, an increase from 78,280 TEUs reported in February 2020 and a drop from 88,202 TEUs seen in 2019. “We’ll be facing a new normal,”  Andrew Hwang, Port of Oakland Business Development Manager, pointed out. The Port of Oakland loads and discharges more than 99 per cent of the containerized goods moving through Northern California. Image Courtesy: Pixabay As informed, cargo is moving smoothly through Oakland. There are no shortages of labor or equipment. The port blamed vessel cancelations on the coronavirus pandemic which has stunted global trade. With consumer spending down, there’s less merchandise to load onto ships. That means fewer vessels needed between Asian manufacturing centers and US ports. Import volume is expected to suffer the biggest cargo decline in coming months, according to the port. On the other hand, demand for Oakland exports remains strong. However,  voyage cancelations could place some markets beyond reach, the port explained. Fruit, nut and meat exports are particularly coveted by overseas trading partners, especially in Asia. Categories: Ports & Logistics Posted: 5 months agolast_img read more


first_imgPhotograph compliments: Erick J. ThomasAn early Sunday morning fire in the village of Zicak, Portsmouth, has claimed the life of a female lady a police report confirms.Maudrina Walter, better known as “Ma Pedice” perished after fire gutted her three (3) bedroom house.According to an eye witness report, villagers were startled upon hearing “the sound of a small explosion and screaming”.Police spokesman inspector John Carbon reported that three other occupants managed to escape the fire unharmed. “The Portsmouth police is conducting investigations into a house fire at Zicak, Portsmouth which occurred about 7am on Sunday 22nd July, 2012 which left one woman dead. Sixty-nine (69) year old Maudrina Walter died as a result of the fire which gutted her three bedroom wooden house. Three other occupants of the house escaped unharmed. The inner section of the house was totally destroyed”.Her body was transported to the Reginald Armour Hospital in Portsmouth by the Fire & Ambulance Services where it was pronounced dead by a medical practitioner. A coroner’s inquest is to be convened to be followed by a post mortem examination to determine the cause of death. Photographs compliments: Erick J. Thomas [nggallery id=205]Domincia Vibes News Tweet Sharing is caring! Share LocalNews Sunday morning fire in Portsmouth claims one life by: – July 23, 2012center_img 49 Views   3 comments Share Sharelast_img read more


first_img “As far as I am concerned the game will go ahead,” said Meulensteen. “It has not been too much of a concern to us, it’s not something we could allow to affect us.” Fulham had planned to delay a decision on staging their Liverpool clash until later on Tuesday afternoon. Members of the RMT and TSSA unions were due to walk out at 9pm on Tuesday night following a two-day stoppage last week which caused travel chaos in the capital. RMT general secretary Bob Crow said unions had received proposals that halted implementation of job cuts, so that discussions can be held “away from the pressure cooker”. The unions are campaigning against controversial plans to close all 260 Tube ticket offices with the loss of 950 jobs. Liverpool owner John W Henry waded into the row over Fulham delaying their decision on whether to postpone the match due to transport concerns with a tweet on Tuesday morning. Henry tweeted: “Arsenal, West Ham and Leyton Orient all ready for the strike but not Fulham?” Fulham put their waiting game purely down to prudence to ascertain whether all support staff could travel to the match to ensure supporter safety. Press Association Fulham’s Barclays Premier League home clash with Liverpool will go ahead as planned on Wednesday night after unions suspended a strike on the London Underground.center_img Just minutes prior to the announcement by the RMT union that it was joining the TSSA in suspending a planned 48-hour strike, Cottagers boss Rene Meulensteen expressed his confidence that the game would go ahead regardless. The Fulham boss said the potential tube cessation had not affected his side’s preparation for their league showdown with Brendan Rodgers’ Anfield outfit. last_img read more


first_imgVirat Kohli will lead India for the World Cup 2019. India will play their first league game against South Africa. Mahendra Singh Dhoni will play his fourth World Cup.  New Delhi: The ICC Cricket World Cup is all set to begin on May 30 as the host England will take on South Africa at the Oval. The excitement among fans has already reached the highest echelon and teams, on the other hand, are working regressively with the full fortitude to keep no box unturned. The tournament this year will be in round-robin format where all teams will play against each other. A total of 10 teams are participating in the mega contest and all have already touched down England and Wales, where the proceedings will begin. India, the 1983 and 2011 Champions reached London on May 22 and started their World cup preparations on the next day itself. The likes of Virat Kohli, Shikhar Dhawan, Yuzvendra Chahal, and others took to the social media to share the glimpses from the first day of practice. Here are the Twitter post: highlightscenter_img Meanwhile, India will begin their World Cup campaign on June 5 against South Africa at Rose Bowl in Southampton. Prior to this, they will play two warm-up games against New Zealand and Bangladesh on May 25 and 28 respectively.  For all the Latest Sports News News, ICC World Cup News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more


first_imgFOR the first time in at least ten years Guyana will be fielding a full team to the XXII Goodwill Swim Meet, after the Guyana Amateur Swimming Association released a list of 40 swimmers to participate at the regional event, which will be held in Guyana at the National Aquatic Centre from August 18 to 21.This year’s team will see the return of last year’s top performers Jaydyn and Danielle George, as well as medallists Raekwon Noel, Kenita Mahaica and Aleka Persaud.Come next month, Guyana will be competing against swimmers from Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, St Lucia, Bahamas and Grenada, with each team being allowed a maximum of 40 swimmers. Defending champions Trinidad and Tobago, have been known to always aspire to take the full complement or at least to come as close as possible.The same goes for Suriname, who have been in a constant battle against Trinidad and Tobago for the title. Guyana on the other hand had struggled over the years to garner the full complement and fitting quality of swimmers to represent the country.The last time, within the last ten years, that Guyana selected a team this big was in 2008 when the country was reportedly represented by 38 swimmers, when the competition was again held in Guyana.Kenita MahaicaIn 2011, just 8 swimmers – the lowest number – represented Guyana, when the event was held in Trinidad.“Last year Guyana produced a team of 29 swimmers when the event was held in St Lucia, and we came back with 15 medals, including three gold. Overall however Guyana finished sixth, out of six countries.Guyana have a dismal performance history at the developmental event, which was originally designed for swimmers from the participating countries who have not yet competed at higher levels of regional competition.“We’re working towards having a better showing at Goodwill this year, more points, more medals, that is our objective. Our hardest age group was the 8 and under, not getting the quality, that we’re looking for, for more medals,” said National coach, Sean Baksh.The meet is an age group event for male and female swimmers in five age groups each, from the 8-and-Under to the 15-17 age ranges.The full Guyana team is as followsGirls:8-and-Under: Andica Vieira, Kyra Soares, Shareefah Lewis, Jovana Goodridge9-10: Aleka Persaud, Patrice Mahaica, Monique Watson, Ariel Rodrigues11-12: Lian Winter, Amber De Goeas, Giselle Crane, Nia Fraser13-14: Jadyn George, Danielle George, Donna Carter, Sofia Pinol15-17: Nikita Fiedtkou, Kenita Mahaica, Accalia Khan, Teshanna HunterBoys:8-and-Under: Jeremy Sookram, Jonathan Lewis, Safraaz Mohamed, Aarav Singh9-10: Paul Mahaica, Jaleel Anderson, Vladimir Woodroffe, Elliot Gonsalves11-12: Leon Seaton, Raekwon Noel, Ejaz Mohamed, Ethan Gonsalves13-14: Sekhel Tzedeq, Sion Jeffers, Rayvon Pires, Jonathon Sookram15-17: Daniel Scott, Antonio Rodrigues, Joseph DeNobrega, Alex Winterlast_img read more